Gayle M. Belin, M.A., CCC-SLP
Speech Language Pathology Services
Assessment and Treatment Services Offered
VOICE THERAPY/LARYNGEAL DYSFUNCTION: Use of a variety of treatment techniques and tasks designed to reduce hoarseness, improve resonance, loudness, and pitch, as well as eliminate traumatic vocal behaviors and assist in the healing of vocal fold tissues. Treatment sessions typically occur 1-2 times weekly for 4-8 weeks and are determined by the severity of the problem, co-occurring medical and/or structural issues, and each client's commitment to home practice. Problem areas include and are not limited to:
- Muscle tension dysphonia
- Vocal nodules/polyps/cysts
- Unilateral vocal fold paralysis
- Parkinson's disease: Lee Silverman Voice Treatment
- Degenerative voice issues
- Transgender voice: MtF & FtM
- Chronic cough
SPEECH AND LANGUAGE THERAPY FOR ADULTS AND ADOLESCENTS: Assessment and treatment sessions are intended for individuals who have experienced stroke or traumatic head trauma and who continue to have difficulty in communication. This includes the understanding of language, expressing thoughts and ideas, and /or speech clarity. Problems areas include and are not limited to:
FOREIGN ACCENT MODIFICATION: Changing one's accent or regional dialect to improve communication effectiveness.
- Includes pre-treatment evaluation and individualized program development
- Addresses sound production of consonants and vowels, and attention to stress, rhythm and intonation of speech
- May also include some attention to grammar, syntax and vocabulary
- Materials include an audio-recorded program for home practice and weekly recorded words and sentences specific to each client's professional and social needs
COMMUNICATION EFFECTIVENESS: These sessions are designed for professionals who want to improve their vocal presentation style. A strong voice will promote vocal energy, confidence and a warmer presence. Emphasis will include developing a sense of one's own vocal capabilities, strengthening the balance between breath management and voice production, and improving the use of expression and persuasion.
SPEECH/ARTICULATION/PHONOLOGIC THERAPY: Sessions are designed for children and adolescents who have functional speech disorders and difficulty in sound production. Each individual will receive an assessment of speech sound production and an individualized program of remediation.